Tuesday, May 6, 2008

What makes you make music?



What makes you make music? That is the question that I pose to any person out there striving to make success or just simply looking for a musical outlet. What is the drive behind the actions you choose to take regarding your artform? There are some things I don't understand, and some things I choose not to even devote the time to even try to comprehend. Whether it be ignorance on my part, or a refusal to manipulate my integrity, I don't know. But what I do know is that there are multiple motivations and motives behind all different types of music. In the world of Hip Hop (which unfortunately mainstream "rap" is intertwined with actual quality music), there are many different facets that make up the whole. What makes them work? I know why I do it. I enjoy it. I make my music to primarily make the music and any financial gain that comes secondary is not only welcome but sought after. But what is the reasoning when the motives are strictly financial? I just don't understand. Mainstream rappers, for the majority, aren't creative artists, they are recording artists. Everything is prepared for them including beat selection and lyrics. They show up with their "swagger" and an empty soul and call it music.

I don't understand how any one could go through their life and their most-likely short lived career as an empty shell and a puppet. What is the fulfilment in that? Granted it might be lucrative, but music that can't inspire isn't really music. I make music and listen to music to inspire. My word is the most powerful tool I possess. Not because it's a cliche thing to say, but because it can spread through worldly barriers. I could be dead broke, but I'd still be able to speak. I make music because the music makes me. I make music because without the rhythmic patterns and intense, inspirational content, life just ain't the same. I just don't understand. Don't Sleep...Sleep is for Birds...

1 comment:

Reflect June said...

saw that statue at Rodin's museum in Paris...more opportunities like that is why I live life the way I do.