Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Travis Barker's take on Busta Rhymes



Despite the dumbfounded expression of astonishment and awe that settled over my face as I watched this video, I actually had the mental strength to form some thoughts and opinions and even ask myself a few questions. The most pressing concern in my mind was that music is missing in Hip Hop. To see this display of what seemed to be raw emotion take over the song and redefine it's strengths and weaknesses was impressive. Where is the music? The invention of samplers and sequencers was a glorious day in Hip Hop, but it also created a culture that was programmed to a fault. 16,8,16,8,16,8, and on, and on, and on. Why do I have to describe quality music production as "musical"? Why do I have to describe music as "musical"?!?! But I'll leave that at that...

I don't think I've ever been more impressed of a certain type of a musician than I have been of drummers. Their skill and intensity seems unreal to me. Not only the rhythm and timing but the physical strength it takes to accomplish perfection in their craft. I imagine that it's therapeutic. I imagine that within the confines of that drum set the world seems distant and miniscule, and that the noise of life can not overpower the thunder that extends through the air with every strike. These are just some of the random thoughts that entered my mind as I soaked in every second of this video...don't sleep...sleep is for birds.

No comments: